United Way - About Us
United Way of the National Capital Area (NCA) helps thousands of people in the District of Columbia, northern Virginia, and Prince George's and Montgomery Counties improve their lives and their futures.
And we couldn't do it without you. Your donations go to programs that help the most vulnerable by:
- Giving children the support and services they need to get ready for kindergarten and adolescents tools to plan careers.
- Helping people rebuild their lives by finding them jobs, access to financial counseling and places to live.
- Developing and partnering with health care resources for children, families and seniors so they can lead healthier lives.
United Way NCA manages one of the largest annual workplace fundraising campaigns in the country. Our community support system includes over 730 member charities with access to hundreds of work sites and tens of thousands of donors and volunteers.
We also support eight Community Impact Funds, which work to solve complex social issues by directing funds to the most critical areas of need. Our three major focus areas include:
Families should not have to choose between going to the doctor and putting food on the table. With rates of uninsured working age adults among low-income households at over 26% in the District of Columbia, and up to 67% in Loudoun County, VA, access to primary and preventive care seems out of reach to many of our residents.
Your United Way NCA helps children, teens and adults get access to quality health care, learn about prevention and embrace healthier lifestyles. Working with community partners who run programs, deliver services, and share our passion for improving lives, we focus on:
- Access to affordable health care;
- Helping people make healthy choices about exercise and nutrition;
- Risk Prevention and Alleviation initiatives to help keep our community safe.
Many families in our area live with constant fear of a lost job, an inability to pay rent and cannot afford health care for their families. They live paycheck to paycheck, and are one crisis away from losing the life they've built.
That's why United Way NCA promotes financial stability and independence for area families. We help link struggling local residents with programs that can help them learn to better manage their finances, pay their bills on time and look towards a brighter future. Our programs help people:
- Find and remain in affordable housing;
- Learn to better manage their finances;
- Find and maintain employment that provides a living wage.
Every child is born ready to learn. Everything a child sees, touches, hears, smells and tastes forms their view of the world and their place in it. United Way NCA's leadership views education - from cradle to career - as the cornerstone of individual and community success. The programs we support help:
- Children enter school ready to learn;
- Students achieve academic success and graduate prepared for careers;
- Our youngest of children overcome obstacles to learning and development so they can have better futures.